Local invasive plants – local invasive plant 5
Read this please: Work with no.1 tree of heaven please, thats my topic
For this post you will become an expert on an invasive species. If you are the first person to post, read the first plant profile (Tree-of-Heaven) the second person to post, read the second plant profile (Maltese Star-Thistle), etc.
To avoid working on a post that another student is working on, you are encouraged to submit a placeholder post and then submit a second post with your response once you’re done. If there are 6 people in your group, one of the invasive species will have two posts. Please assure you all use different sources for the invasive species that has a second post.
Click on one of the invasive species plant profiles below:
- Tree-of-Heaven – Ailanthus altissima
- Maltese star-thistle – Centaurea melitensis
- Fountain grass – Pennisetum setaceum
- Brazilian pepper tree – Schinus terebinthifolius
- London rocket – Sisymbrium irio
This assignment requires two posts, each completed individually. Both of your posts need to be written in your own words. No credit will be given for responses copied directly from the plant profile.
First Post – Due Thursday
- List the top three reasons you feel this species is of concern in the Los Angeles River Watershed. For reach reason, explain why this makes this plant a cause for concern. Be sure to support your argument with evidence from the plant profile you read.
- Based on the distribution of the plant (see the maps), biology and ecology and the methods of eradication, do you think it is possible to safely eradicate (completely remove) this species from the watershed? Why or why not? Support your argument with specifics from the plant profile.