Development of evidence based practice change proposal 1
Topic 3 DQ 1
Submit a summary of six of your articles on the discussion board. Discuss one strength and one weakness for each of these six articles on why the article may or may not provide sufficient evidence for your practice change.
- The first article “Promotion and Support of Breastfeeding Within the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative Programme in Slovakia” looks at how the initiation of breastfeeding done shortly after birth along with support and assistance from health professionals influence adherence to breastfeeding. A weakness or limitation to this study is that it takes place in the Baby Friendly hospital setting only. A strength is that I work at a baby friendly hospital and can compare.
Bašková, M., Chabanová, B., Škodová, Z., Malinovská, N., & Urbanová, E. (2020). Promotion and support of breastfeeding within the baby-friendly hospital initiative programme in Slovakia. Central European Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, 11(4), 180–187. https://doi.org/10.15452/cejnm.2020.11.0031
- The second article, “Can a Call Make a Difference? Measured Change in Women’s Breastfeeding Self-efficacy Across Call Interactions on a Telephone Helpline” takes place after mother and baby have gone home. The focus is on mothers who have already initiated breastfeeding but seek support. A weakness is that where I am doing my practicum it is a in person clinic and this is a study that uses helplines, and I have to way of knowing how that works. A strength is that it is another form of support offered that can breing an insight to what might help mothers.
Thorpe, K., Jansen, E., Cromack, C., & Gallegos, D. (2018). Can a Call Make a Difference? Measured Change in Women’s Breastfeeding Self-efficacy Across Call Interactions on a Telephone Helpline. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 22(12), 1761–1770. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-018-2573-3
- The third study “Experiences with peer support for breastfeeding in Beirut, Lebanon: A qualitative study” wanted to learn more about the experiences of breastfeeding mothers after being provided with peer support, and professional lactation support. A strength is that it looks at peer and professional support which is what I am looking for. I did not find a weakness in this article.
Kabakian-Khasholian, T., Nimer, H., Ayash, S., Nasser, F., & Nabulsi, M. (2019). Experiences with peer support for breastfeeding in Beirut, Lebanon: A qualitative study. PLOS ONE, 14(10). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0223687
- The fourth study, “The impact of family culture on six months exclusive breastfeeding: A qualitative study in New Zealand” wanted to evaluate the impact of family culture on exclusive breastfeeding practice. A weakness is that we can not measure how much family support patients have. A strength is that all types of breastfeeding support are valid to continue breastfeeding.
Alianmoghaddam, N., Phibbs, S., & Benn, C. (2018). The impact of family culture on six months exclusive breastfeeding: A qualitative study in New Zealand. Breastfeeding Review, 26(1), 23–36.
- The fifth article “Midwives’ perceptions of barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in Bhutan: A qualitative study.” looks at the five main barriers to exclusive breastfeeding. A strength is that it give an overview on what changes are necessary to increase breastfeeding. A weakness is that the barriers may not apply to my region for the change proposal.
Pemo, K., Phillips, D., & Hutchinson, A. M. (2020). Midwives’ perceptions of barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in Bhutan: A qualitative study. Women and Birth, 33(4), 377-384 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2019.07.003
- The final article, “Examining supports and barriers to breastfeeding through a socio-ecological lens: A qualitative study.” is focused on breastfeeding education through social media strategies. This itself is a strength, it is also the most recent study of them all. A weakness is that it is only limited to one state in the U.S. to collect data.
Using 200-300 words APA format. Sources must be published within the last 5 years.