Researching a topic using the academic search complete database
Research Topic: Find two (2) full academic articles related to The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. Do not use Amazon, Wikipedia, or Barnes & Noble.
Researching a Topic Using the Academic Search Complete Database
- Go to database through Evergreen’s library site and type in the book’s title and any other search criterion, i.e., “racism,” “social activism,” or “education”.
- Look for articles from such sources as The New York Time Book Review or other academic journals.
- The article should offer some analysis of the book and not be just a “This book is good” or “This book is bad”. For example, the article may say something along the lines of the book still being relevant.
- Use various keywords to try different searches and to locate articles about your book. Once you’ve selected and read a useful article, compose the following:
- An MLA style citation for the article source as you would list it in your works cited. *
- A 125-word (1/2 page) paragraph in which you summarize the article in your own words.
- A 125-word (1/2 page) paragraph in which you evaluate the article and support your claims: What have you gained by reading this article? Is the information useful to you in your class work? If so, how? If not, why not? Is this a reliable resource (e.g., Who is the author? Is this a scholarly or a popular resource?)? Is the article well written? Why or why not?**
- Repeat steps 1-4 for a second article.
- Staple your typewritten work and the first page of each article to this cover sheet.
You will submit this assignment as a single document. At the very least, your assignment will be 2 pages in length, but you may go longer if your summary or evaluation goes over a half-page each.
* for more information about MLA documentation rules, please see here (Links to an external site.).
** for more information about evaluating the reliability of your sources, particularly web pages, please see here (Links to an external site.).