Case study course outcome addressed in this assignment: pa205-1:
Course outcome addressed in this Assignment:
PA205-1: Describe the difference between legislation and case law.
Read the Case Study, which discusses an incident in which an individual challenged his conviction for burning an American flag. Then answer the questions that follow.
- The case study references one state statute. Identify it and explain what it prohibits.
- Which branch of government (executive, judicial, or legislative) created the state statute?
- The passage above also discusses one court case. Who were the parties involved in the case?
- The case was heard by three lower courts before it reached the United States Supreme Court. List those three courts in order, beginning with the court that has the most authority and ending with the court that has the least amount of authority.
- Provide the citation for the United States Supreme Court’s decision in this case.
- What effect did the United States Supreme Court’s decision have on the Texas statute?
- Write 1-2 paragraphs explaining the difference between case law (like the court cases above) and statutory law (like the state statute above). Focus your discussion on how case law and statutes are created, the weight of their authority, and how they can be amended or changed.
Please review the assignment grading rubric in Doc Sharing for more information on how your Assignment will be graded.
Submitting Your Work
Put your responses in a Microsoft Word document. Save it in a location and with the proper naming convention: username-Course Name-section-Unit x_Assignment.doc (username is your Kaplan username, section is your course section, x is your Unit number). When you are ready to submit it, go to the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says “Submit an Assignment.”
- In the “Submit to Basket” menu, select Unit x: Assignment.
- In the “Comments” field, make sure to add at least the title of your paper.
- Click the “Add Attachments” button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your Word document.
To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it. Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted work.