Medical | Biology homework help
- Before beginning this assignment, I recommend that you watch the video posted in Unit 3 of our course titled, “Words of Wisdom from Your Instructor, Sound-Alike Look-Alike Medical Terms”. CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO: “Words of Wisdom from Your Instructor: “Sound-Alike Look-Alike Medical Terms.”
- For this assignment, find two medical terms using your textbook or an online search that sound alike and look alike in their spellings. Do not use terms that have the same root and only differ by having different prefixes or suffixes.
- Post the terms and clearly define each term.
- Provide an example of how each term could correctly be used in a sentence to share with your classmates.
- Review the terms that have already been posted by other students. Post only terms that have not yet been posted on your group’s discussion board. Also, do not use the terms that were used as examples in the video or the example in these Instructions. Do not use the following term pairs: reflex/reflux, hemostasis/homeostasis, prostate/prostrate, ileum/ilium, adduct/abduct, dysphasia/dysphagia, palpitation, palpation, or aphasia/aphagia
- Review the posts of other students in your group. Then, post your ideas, feedback, and reflections to enrich the conversation to two other students in your Discussion Group. In this response, name the student, restate their terms, and explain how and why you think the information in their post will be helpful to you in the future.
- This is a graded assignment. Refer to the Rubric for guidelines on grading.
- Original work is required for this assignment. Do not copy information from another student or directly from a reference source.
Sound-Alike and Look-Alike Terms: Reflex and Reflux
Reflex (noun) an action that is performed as a response to a stimulus and without conscious thought.
Reflux (noun) backward flow.
Example of a Sentence Using the Terms:
Dr. Edward identified that the insufficient lower esophageal sphincter reflex caused Mrs. Joann’s acid reflux, which made her feel uncomfortable in the abdomen.
Sound-Alike and Look-Alike Terms: hemostasis and homeostasis
Definition: hemostasis : the stopping of a flow of blood
Sentence: During surgery, the surgeons used digital pressure in order to achieve hemostasis.
Definition: homeostasis: the tendency toward a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements
Sentence: After a hard workout, Susan’s body began to sweat in order to cool her down and maintain her body’s temperature homeostasis.
Please refer to the rubric for grading criteria. You can view the rubric for this assignment by clicking on the three dots (…) at the top right of the Discussion Board assignment screen.