Literature assignment | English homework help
Compare the Subjects, Purposes, and Audiences of TWO works of literature listed below. The works you choose must be from different national cultures (you cannot compare two Spanish works, for instance). Your goal is to show the ways in which these two works are similar or different when it comes to the three points of comparison. Support your analysis with brief evidence taken directly from the texts you refer to. Be sure to name the texts and writers you select to analyze: use a signal phrase.
Remember: Subject, Purpose, and Audience are specific terms, and you should use these terms in your analysis (see the Glossary for a brief discussion of the terms).
Organize paragraphs with appropriate topic sentences, unity, and coherence. Support your analysis with brief evidence taken directly from the texts you refer to. Be sure to name the texts and writers you select to analyze: use a signal phrase.
Suggested writing plan for this response:
- Paragraph #1: Analyze the S/P/A of Text A.
- Paragraph #2: Analyze the S/P/A of Text B.
- Paragraph #3: Draw conclusion/s by comparing A to B.
Your writing should be about 350 or so words in length. Remember to follow MLA format, clean up and organize your writing, and cite your evidence using MLA in-text style.
- Iroquois Creation Story, p 31-5
- The Trickster Tale, pp 44-46
- King Phillip’s Speech, p 54
- Columbus, pp 58-66: Letter to Luis de Santangel; Letter to Ferdinand and Isabella,
- The Very Brief Relation, De Las Casas, pp 67-71
- History, Manners, and Customs of the Indian Nations, Heckewelder, pp 103-106
- The Aztec Account of the Spanish Conquest of Mexico, excerpt from The Broken Spears: Broken Spears Excerpt.doc
- Samuel de Champlain, “The Voyages,” pp93-8
- Second Letter to the Spanish Crown, Cortes, pp 82-87