Leadership self-assessment | NHS-FP5004 | Capella University
Complete a leadership self-assessment of 5–7 pages.
Be sure you read all of the requirements for this assessment and review the suggested resources to see if they may be useful in completing the assessment.
The health care environment is complex, requiring leadership that is comprehensive and collaborative in the field. It is essential for leaders to be well-versed in a range of areas (practice, research, education) as a means of effective engagement with interprofessional communities. Effective leaders have heightened awareness of self and individual leadership styles, leading to professional growth, career advancement, and the ability to develop leaders for the future across the fields of practice (nursing, health administration, public health).
This assessment provides an opportunity to analyze your own leadership qualities to create a portrait of the effective health care professional and leader you aspire to be.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the concepts, principles, and characteristics of effective health care leadership.
- Analyze one’s leadership strengths and weaknesses, in reference to one or more leadership theories or styles found in the literature.
- Explain how one’s specific leadership characteristics enable oneself to guide, educate, inform, and influence others in managing change.
- Competency 2: Explain the role of health care leaders in facilitating interprofessional collaboration.
- Explain how one’s specific leadership characteristics help oneself build and maintain interprofessional collaborative relationships.
- Competency 3: Analyze standards of professional ethics and the principles of diversity and inclusion as applied by health care leaders in real-world situations.
- Explain how one can best apply the principles of ethical leadership, given one’s leadership style.
- Explain why diversity and inclusion are important to employee relations and the provision of safe, high-quality health care.
- Explain how one’s specific leadership characteristics prepare oneself to develop and lead a diverse team of employees and serve a diverse community, within an ethical framework.
- Competency 4: Determine the influence of the practitioner-scholar role on professional practice and leadership development.
- Explain how research skills and critical thinking guide effective decision making and foster integrity in research and professional practice.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse audiences, in an appropriate form and style, consistent with applicable organizational, professional, and scholarly standards.
- Write coherently to support a central idea, using correct grammar, mechanics, and APA formatting.