Safe prescribing | Nursing homework help
Assignment: Safe Prescribing
In this Assignment, you will explore the legalities associated with prescribing controlled substances, as well as what a DEA number is, how to obtain one, and, most importantly, how to prescribe controlled substances in your state.
- Analyze roles of the Drug Enforcement Administration
- Analyze PMHNP responsibilities when issued a DEA number
- Analyze DEA number application procedures
- Analyze state requirements for safe prescribing and prescription monitoring
- Analyze PMHNP responsibilities for safe prescribing and prescription monitoring
- Analyze Schedule II-V drug levels
To prepare for this Practicum Journal:
- Review the Learning Resources.
In 2-3 pages:
- Describe the role of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) as it pertains to the PMHNP.
- Explain your responsibilities when having a DEA number.
- Explain how you apply for a DEA number.
- Explain your state’s requirements for a safe prescribing and prescription monitoring program. Explain your responsibility as a PMHNP to follow these requirements.
- Provide an example of a drug you may prescribe from each of the Schedule II-V drug levels.
Required Readings ( need 3 references).
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
· Chapter 8, “Mood Disorders” (pp. 347–386)
· Chapter 12, “Psychotherapy of Mood Disorders”
· Chapter 14, “Pharmacological and Somatic Treatments for Major Depressive Disorder”
Stahl, S. M. (2017). Prescriber’s Guide: Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology (6th ed.). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
To access information on specific medications, click on The Prescriber’s Guide, 6th Ed. tab on the Stahl Online website and select the appropriate medication.