Department store has determined in connection with its inventory
1. A department store has determined in connection with its inventory control that the demand for a certain CD player averages 4 per day. If the store stocks 5 of these items on a particular day, what is the probability that demand will exceed supply?
2. The telephone sales department of a certain store receives an average of 24 calls per hour.
What is probability that between 10:00 a.m. and 10:05 a.m. there will be 3 calls? No calls?
3. The accident rate in a factory is 4 per month. What is the probability that there will be 6 accidents in a particular month?
4. On average, there are two customers per 5 minutes at a gas station.
A)What is the probability that more than 1 customers arrive in 10 minutes?
B)What is the probability that more than 4 customers arrive in 10 minutes?
5. A commercial bank has estimated an average of 150 customers per hour between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Monday.
What is the probability that, in one minute at that particular day and time, there are at most three customers?
6. Ships arrive at an unloading facility in San Francisco at a rate of 4 per week.
A) What is the probability that there will be exactly 5 arrivals in a given one-week period?
B) What is the probability that there will be exactly 10 arrivals in a given two=week period?
C) Explain why it is less probable to have 10 arrivals in 2 weeks than 5 arrivals in one week.
D) What is the mean and standard deviation of the number of ships that is expected to arrive in an eight-week period?
7. Plano is prone to severe hail storms. Insurance agents claim that a home owner in Plano can expect to replace his or her roof (due to hail damage) once every 10 years.
What is the probability that in 12 years a homeowner in Plano will need to replace the roof twice due to damage from hail?