Introduction to nursing leadership (concepts and practice)
Assignment: Nurse leader interview.
Interview a nurse leader (chief nurse, associate chief nurse, director, supervisor, manager), a master’s prepared nurse with leadership responsibilities (nurse educator, nurse quality specialist, nurse risk manager, nurse case manager, etc.), or advanced practice nurse with leadership responsibilities (clinical nurse specialist, nurse anesthetist, nurse midwife, or nurse practitioner).
– Analyze the leader’s role as it relates to a minimum of five of the major course concepts addressed (ethics in leadership, emotional intelligence, communication, conflict resolution, change theory, cultural competence/diversity, labor relations management, leadership models, management theory, motivational theory, Nurse of the Future competencies, interprofessional collaboration, and team building).
– Provide a narrative summary of your interviewee’s responses to each of the concepts (but not a verbatim account) of the interview. Incorporate references to provide support and analyze the concepts you discussed. Include your impression of congruence between the leader’s self-reflection and your personal observations of demonstrated leadership. Include the following in your paper:
– Comprehension: Introduce the leader, his or her credentials, title, job responsibilities, placement on the organizational chart/reporting responsibilities, education, experience, mentors, and pathway to their current role.
Note: My leader is Dr. Parra, his credentials are ARNP, DNP (Specialized in Family practice). In the past he was a Doctor in Cuba. He is been practicing in the US for the last 15 years. Dr. Parra works alongside another Doctor. He is in charge of the wellbeing of the patients, new medication orders, signs and symptoms, critical labs, etc.
– Application: Describe the predominate model/theory of leadership used by this leader. Describe their style of leadership.
Note: Dr. Parra’ style of leadership is Democratic.
– Analysis/Synthesis: Clarify and illustrate the leader’s level of authority and influence within the organization. Discuss their sense of empowerment and efforts to empower others. Describe their intra- and extra-organizational responsibilities.
– Compare your personal philosophy/style/model of leadership with this leader and share whether or not expectations/perceptions of this leader were accurate.
– Evaluation: Summarize the leader’s behavior, strengths, successes, challenges and weaknesses.
Your paper should be 9 to 10 pages long, not counting cover page or references list, and should utilize 10-12 scholarly references.
APA Style 6th edition.