Leadership vs. management | Financial markets homework help
Assignment 1: Leadership versus Management
Leadership and management are often used interchangeably in US organizations. They are similar and related but not the same. They have different orientations and both are needed by organizations today. They complement each other and often are seen as two sides of the same coin
Using the module readings, University online library resources, and the Internet, research the concepts of leadership and management. Respond to the following:
- Are the concepts of leadership and management the same?
- What are the similarities and differences between them?
- Is it necessary for an organization to have both leadership and management?
Support your answer with specific examples or by citing a credible source.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 300 words. All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
By Friday, August 30, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Assignment 3: Leadership Challenges in Today’s Environment
There are some who argue that leaders face unprecedented demands as we enter the 21st century. The pace of organizations is faster than ever due to technology advances and impatience in stakeholder groups. There is increased diversity due to globalization. The workforce is more nomadic; few people today spend their entire careers in a single company. This puts a lot of pressure on leaders and may demand new or evolved competencies.
Using the module readings, University online library resources, and the Internet, including general organizational sources like the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, or Harvard Business Review, research into the demands facing 21st century leaders. Then, respond to the following:
- What are the challenges facing leaders in today’s environment? Consider both internal and external challenges.
- Describe the impact of those challenges on today’s leaders. Explain how leaders need to respond to them.
- Discuss at least three–four core competencies that you think leaders need to be effective in in today’s environment. Explain how these competencies will address the challenges you identified.
- Use examples where applicable and also consider the “Five practices” of Kouzes and Posner (2007) in your response.
Support your positions by citing at least two sources from your research.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 300 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, August 31, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area.