Soc 308 week 5 discussion
Week 5 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Faith and Ethnicity in the Armed Forces: Social integration, Islamophobia, and the Formation of Political Identities [WLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 8 and 10 of the course text as well as the following resources:
The video Faith on the Frontline (Links to an external site.) might also be useful for additional insight into the issues addressed in this discussion.
Islamophobia refers to the dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims. After the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, prejudice and discrimination against Muslims (and those people perceived to be Muslims) spiked, including violent attacks. Recently, assaults against Muslims have been spiking, surpassing post-2001 levels. At the same time, many people serving in the US Armed Forces identify as Muslim, and this has created some opportunities as well as some tensions as troops are deployed overseas in several Muslim-majority countries. After reviewing the required resources, please address the following:
- How have attacks against Muslims changed since 2001? What factors have led to these changes? Describe an example of Islamophobia in US society.
- What challenges do Muslim soldiers face serving in the US military? How has the US military accommodated and supported Muslim soldiers and their religious traditions?
- Describe some of the benefits of having Muslim Americans willing to serve in the US military.
- How has the increasing prevalence of Islamophobia in society influenced the political engagement of Muslim Americans? What are the potential implications of this on the political system?
- How have social movements harnessed the power of political activism to effect change in racial bias, such as Islamophobia? What impact does this have on racial and ethnic minorities serving in the military?
Your initial post should be at least 650 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material and/or other scholarly resources and properly cite any references.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. In your replies, be sure to note any interesting aspects of their response, such as the experiences of Muslim soldiers in the US military, examples of Islamophobia and its impact on our political system, and/or social movements addressing Islamophobia. Your responses should be at least 200 words in length.