Write a one-page reflection about some of the ideas you find most
Please read the attached texts BEFORE watching the videos below. The videos provide supplementary information about Japanese Noh theatre that will support your understanding of the texts.
1) Watch “‘The Spirit of Noh 能’ – Oldest living form of theater in the world” on YouTube
2 Watch 2 parts of “Japanology Plus 2017 01 26 Noh Theater” on YouTube
- Part I: Starts at 6:47; ends at 14:30 — history of Noh and why it is preserved
- Part II: Starts at 20:47 and ends at 27:40
3) Watch a portion of the video about the famous Kabuki actor Ennosuke. He is still living and performing his craft: https://youtu.be/AdLPtdzunxg
4) After you have read the introduction to East Asian Drama and the short play “Atsumori” (1400s), please view portions of the play. NOTE: You DO NOT have to watch the entire play. Rather, determine if you can find places in the video that coincide with the play you will have read. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mXuGC16ix4