Practice in writing the annotated bibliography
This discussion topic is designed to help you become familiar with how to annotate articles.
After you have watched the video, “How to Write an Annotated Bibliography,”please perform the following tasks:
Please access the article, “The CSI Effect at University: Forensic Science Students’ Television Viewing and Perceptions of Ethical Issue,” by Roslyn Weaver, Yenna Salamonson, Jane Koch, and Glenn Porter.
This article is in the e-reserves section of your class. You can access the article by taking the following steps:
- click Content
- select Class Resources
- select eReserves
- select the icon for eReserves in the middle of your page.
- in the list of items that appears, locate the article and download it
After accessing the article, complete an annotation of this article as if you were considering it for a source in a paper. In addition, please read the document titled, “Sample_annotation_CSI_at_University_391_model.pdf,” which is listed in Content for Week 1. That document provides an example of how to annotate an article for writing assignment #1 in this class.
Please complete the following in responding to this discussion thread:
1. List the article in APA format, as the video describes.
2. Write a 100-to-150-word summary/critique of the article in which you not only summarize the article but also note any strengths or weaknesses you find in it. In addition, mention whether it will be a possible article for an essay on the topic of the CSI effect.
Your annotation thus should include the following:
- Focus of the study (~ 1-2 sentences)
- Conclusion(s) of the study (~ 1-2 sentences)
- Analysis of the study (e.g., any strengths or weaknesses? Any thing that was particularly remarkable/helpful?) (~ 1-2 sentences)
- Its relevance to research on the CSI Effect (~ 1-2 sentences)
You will not necessarily write about the “CSI Effect” for your submission of any of your writing assignments. However, this exercise is designed to help you become familiar with listing a source in APA format and with writing a critical annotation for it.